With Memorial Day weekend upon us, the summer spirit begins to kick in. If you haven’t grilled out yet, this surely is the weekend to start. This week, Walden Pond, apartments in Lynchburg, VA, is going to give you ideas and tips on the all-American hamburger.
Today, ground turkey and ground chicken are perfect for lower fat burgers. And certainly, veggie burgers (a combination of ground vegetables, beans and bulgur or rice) have prided a lower fat and meat-free option.
For beef burgers, a few simple suggestions provide the best results. Most experts agree that adding to the meat itself detracts from the flavor of a good burger. Rather, use toppings to get creative. For the best results see the following tips:
- Buy 85-90% fat free meat for optimal taste. For each 6-ounce burger, one pinch of kosher salt should be mixed into the patty.
- Preparation on a grill (or in a grill pan) at medium heat will give you the perfect charred grill marks.
- Don’t constantly flip and press them with a spatula. 5 minutes on each side results in a medium-well (slightly pink) burger, so go from there based on what temperature you enjoy.
- If you want to get creative, toppings and bread choice can really set you apart. Burgers go to a whole new level when served on focaccia bread, a flavored bagel, Portuguese sweet rolls or a toasted multi-grain English muffin.
And for toppings, the possibilities endless. Here are a few ideas:
- Asian Burger: For the last minute or two of grilling, brush the burger with Asian sauce like 3T hoison sauce/ 1T soy sauce with a pinch of ginger.
- Italian Burger: tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella.
- BBQ Burger:BBQ Sauc, cheddar and cold slaw. California Burger: Guacamole, sliced tomatoes, and sprouts.
- Mexican Burger: 2T of salsa and a slice of pepper jack cheese, refried beans and shredded lettuce.
- Bacon Cheddar Burger: add cheddar cheese, and thick sliced smoked bacon.
- Black & Bleu Burger: Burger with, black pepper and bleu cheese.
- Brie Burger: Brie warmed and placed over granny smith apples with a hint of honey mustard.
Enjoy a great holiday weekend from Walden Pond Apartments.