Well it is almost Thanksgiving and many residents in our apartment in Lynchburg, VA are baking pies for their upcoming holiday gatherings. It smells delicious around here. The season would not be the same without pumpkin, pecan and apple pie for dessert.
So we thought we would share some interesting pie facts while you are preparing for your feast. Many of these facts are from the American Pie Council:
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest pumpkin pie ever baked weighed 2,020 pounds and was just over 12 ft long. It was baked on Oct. 8, 2005 by the New Bremen Giant Pumpkin Growers in Ohio.
- If you lined up the number of pies sold at U.S. grocery stores during Thanksgiving, they would span more than half the globe.
- If you lined up the number of pies sold at U.S. grocery stores in one year, they would circle the globe and then some.
- 42% of Americans prefer to eat their pie with ice cream, vanilla of course.
- Approx. $700 million in pies are sold in grocery stores every year.
- Nearly one out of five (19%) of Americans prefer apple pie, followed by pumpkin (13%), pecan (12%), banana cream (10%) and cherry (9%)
- Pumpkin pie was first introduced to the holiday table at the pilgrim’s second Thanksgiving in 1623.
Now you have some funny pie facts to share with your guests at the dessert table. Happy Thanksgiving from Walden Pond in Lynchburg, VA.